Falcons Place is roughly a 20-minute walk or 5-minute drive away from the small village of Waberthwaite. In the village, you will find Woodalls Butchers which are very well known for their meat, so-much-so-that they supply the Queen with their Cumberland sausages. If you don’t fancy cooking for yourself, then Waberthwaite plays host to the Brown Cow Inn which is a traditional styled pub that serves home cooked, high quality food, real ales and has a friendly and warm atmosphere.
A short drive away on the other side of the estuary is Ravenglass, which is another small village (larger than Waberthwaite) and hosts a couple of good traditional places to eat and drink with the locals. Ravenglass is also home to the starting point of a steam railway known as La’al Ratty which operates for most of the year on a 7-mile journey to Boot and back taking in the stunning views that surround the area. Just outside the centre of Ravenglass is Muncaster Castle, which has beautiful grounds perfect for short walks and learning about the local history.
If you are a sporty person that enjoys the outdoors, then the area is perfect for you.
• There are numerous places to go walking in the area including both coastal and fell walking, ranging in difficulty - details of such walks can be found in books within Falcon's Place to make planning your walk simple!
• There are 3 local golf courses, Eskdale Golf Course, Seascale Golf Course and Silecroft Golf Course.
• The Estuary is a 200 yard walk away if you like fishing, this is where the River Esk meets the sea and is a good place for salmon and trout fishing as well as coastal sea fishing. Additionally, the river Irt and Mite join this estuary further along at Ravenglass. There are plenty of coastline and inland areas to go fishing - just make sure to check if you need a permit first.
• SCUBA Diving can be popular in Cumbria due to deep inland lakes such as Wastwater which is 75m deep, and is surrounded by beautiful hillside views.
• Other water sports such as canoeing, paddle-boarding and wind-surfing are available locally. In fact, most outdoors activities are catered for and found in the nearby area.
Please note: During your stay at Falcons Place you may hear arms firing which happens on the nearby dunes, the Ministry of Defence have a firing range from where they run tests, firing out to sea. If you see the red flags whilst out walking in coastal areas, it means that you are unable to use the dunes at those specific time - the tests are infrequent and shouldn't cause an inconvenience during your stay.